Regular readers of this blog may remember that I started work on a structural edit of my first novel at the beginning of September, as the school term began.
I am delighted to announce that, a mere six weeks and 80,860 words later, I have finished this task, a few days ahead of my half-term deadline!
I am sharing this news in part to explain the break from my regular blogging schedule, but also to encourage anyone else who may be working on a novel at this time. NaNoWriMo is fast approaching, where budding writers attempt to draft a novel in 30 days. This idea seems a little crazy even to me (I already had most of the text of my novel to work with on my current edit,) but there is certainly something to be said for perseverance. I worked on my novel Mon-Fri come hell or high water, no matter how much I did or didn’t feel like it. The end result is that I have plenty of time to fine-tune the manuscript before my deadline of New Year for having it in a publishable state.
Of course, whether a publisher will want it is another matter, but I’m determined to take it through the query process and learn what lessons I can from the experience. I intend to share this novel with you once it’s done, whether it turns out to be traditionally or self-published, and I look forward to your verdict.
Stay tuned for further updates!