Lentils are a great source of protein in a vegan diet. They are also healthy, delicious and very versatile. I’ve already mentioned the nutritional benefits of sweet potato in a previous post, so here is a dish which combines these two fantastic ingredients.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped.
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1-2 fresh chillis, finely sliced (optional).
- 200g sweet potato flesh, cubed.
- 1 tsp cumin.
- 1tsp coriander.
- 1/2 cup each green and red lentils.
- 1 litre vegetable stock.
- Olive oil for frying.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- A little freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Cover the base of a large saucepan with olive oil and bring to a medium-high heat.
- Fry the onions to coat in the oil, then reduce to low heat and leave to simmer until softened.
- Add the garlic and chilli and fry for a further minute.
- Add the sweet potato, coriander and cumin, and fry until combined.
- Rinse the lentils in cold water, then add to the pan and combine with the other ingredients.
- Add the warm vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are cooked through (30-40 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper plus a little lemon juice to taste, then serve.
Serve as a soup or a stew
The red lentils will dissolve during cooking and thicken the mixture: if you prefer to serve this dish as a stew, reduce it a little longer to form a thick sauce. If you prefer a more watery soup, you can add water during cooking to achieve the consistency you prefer.